Wednesday 26 May 2010

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I think throughout this module I have again developed my skills in the various programmes, through set tasks(indesign and type and Grid) and through larger projects (Illustrator and Photoshop). Although I still see that there is a lot more to learn in them I am glad I am slowly becoming a lot more comfortable and so quicker using them. I have also learnt a lot about Type and Layout- both of which I have enjoyed a lot. In the majority of the projects in this module I have had to chose a suitable font which, in most cases, went wrong to start with and then once I could see the problem I was able to test out various fonts and find the most suitable. Although blogging is not so much as a skill, I do feel like I have definitely developed my confidence in using my Blog and in fact have found it very helpful in working through my ideas and showing the work I have produced.
What mistakes have you made?
I have made many mistakes throughout the module. Non too drastic but all have taught me something about my work and how I work. I have realised that I need to start mixing hand rendered work with digital more in my work as hand rendered is something I feel I am strong at. I have felt that now and again I have tried to learn more skills and so have left behind those I initially started with. Of course Learning new things is important but I don't want to forget what I enjoy doing. Also this links with work I like. I think I have found it hard to create something which I like and focussed majorly on the brief and its audience.. this is what we are meant to do but the products need to hold there own individuality and show that it is my work and no one elses. I feel I have let my self down when it comes to design context. I have found a lot of work that I like and I know exactly why I like it but I have failed to explain why this is the case on my blog. I think this is due to a lack of time management when it came to my blog. I think I need to start setting myself targets with my blog and realise just how long it would take to analyse the work.
What have you enjoyed the most?
I think I really enjoyed the second part of speaking from experience as I really started to connect with it and learnt a lot about layout and different fonts that can be used. Also I appreciated the teaching we had on type and grid as it made me realise that this is a subject I would like to look further into.
What now?
I think I have realised that I am definitely a designer who wants to keep learning, someone who wants to be passionate about the project in hand and someone who wants to have fun with their work. It is easy to forget the latter when deadlines are approaching and there seems to be heaps of work to be done but I think it is possible by making sure a good amount of work is done every single day. I think this module has helped me prepare for what is to come next year and has really made me think a lot as to why I am here and what I want to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment