Monday 6 June 2011

Wedding stationary and greetings cards - new development.

After completing my final project in the second year I have noticed a new passion forming of wedding stationary, greetings cards and printed goods. Although before now I have designed cards for friends etc and always wanted to get more into this I have struggled to know whether I would be limiting my practice too much. I found a number of beautifully crafted design work for wedding stationary to be inspired by including designers who specifically focus on pattern as the main focus of the design. I have never really seen myself as a designing who likes nice pretty things and I don't think that has changed but I feel with this it is giving something a personal touch which doesn't always have to be super girly.

A couple of design studio's who specifically design this sort of product are:

Hum creative. Based in Seattle, Washington.
I was very impressed with HUM creatives collection of work and it really inspired me in thinking that there were companies out there for me... even though it is based in America. Is that too far? maybe.
I think I was so impressed because of the range of products they have covered whilst being consistent with their own personal touch without becoming like any other high spec design agency.
Their attention to detail is key throughout their portfolio of work and as displayed below they have covered both screen and print within their design.

I like that the studio seems small yet they have done work for starbucks and still want to do work for couples who are getting married. I am very excited by the thought of being able to work in a studio similar to this although I understand the importance therefore of my own art direction and the need to design with attention to detail and with a personal touch. Maybe one day!!!





















The wedding artists collective. Based in New York.

Again another inspirational studio in relation to the sort of work I eventually want to be able to produce. Attention to detail and character are again kay features within this including the importance of choice of stock, thinking outside the box with ways of communicating and trying to be different from the normal standard invitation design. They use a mixture of illustration and type to create these beautiful original ranges.





No comments:

Post a Comment