Monday 6 June 2011

Where was I? Where am I now?

At the start of this year I was attempting to feel comfortable within a Graphic design environment.  I had started to develop new skills, a new understand of the term process and the importance of a concept. I felt like I couldn't really be placed in terms of a specific area of design or type of studio I would consider working in.  This was simply because I had not yet explored it in enough detail to be aware of what and where I wanted to be. Similarly the work I had produced was always driven by a brief given by tutors and so the outcomes were limited to how I felt I could answer the brief.
Since then I feel I have taken a huge step in realising the sort of aims I want as a graphic designer a more stream lined view of the work I want to produce and a better understanding of graphic design in general.
In being able to chose briefs to suit my skills and passions and even to be able to write my own has really showed me that where I am able to put part of myself in a brief, whether it is through passion for the cause or excitement for the crafting, the resolution and even the process is more thorough and original than if it was something separate to where my passions lay.  I guess really this goes without saying.  Passion and excitement for the subject is vital in creating something visually exciting.  It maybe that this year, or even simply towards the end of this year, I have become very comfortable in how I design but really I need to still keep my mind open to opportunities which may arise and where I never felt I was able to complete a brief.

When I think now about publication layout I would probably shy away from the thought yet within charity based work this is an important part of the job and I will need to be in a place where I am comfortable completing all sorts of briefs in the most appropriate media.

I feel i have been tested also this year in software skill with learning after effects and dreamweaver in detail and finalizing projects using them. Both of which will come in handy throughout the next few years of my life.  Initially in both cases I was uncomfortable and not at ease with the software, I struggled to understand why certain things did what they did but that is what technology is about. I have noticed the importance of trial and error within this and simply testing things out is the best way to learn what they do.  In both projects I feel I eventually finished with more confidence and awareness of the possibilities the software opens up within my practice. As well as this this I still understand the great importance of pen to paper and thumb-nailing, story-boarding, sketching out ideas before taking them straight to screen.  This was probably more vital within the after effects brief.

Surrounding and supporting my practice was critical studies which I feel played a large role in my progression this year.  In considering the importance of Graphic design I was able to pin point just how important it is for me to produce work for a cause.  Whether it be community, poverty, social relationships etc, I am exceedingly keen to make my work count when it comes down to it rather than simply creating something for designs sake.  I don't think I would be well suited to work for a design magazine or any other design focussed position.  This is not because I think it is a rubbish job, more because I am more engaged and passionate when it comes down to subjects that are outside of the design sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment